Friday, March 28, 2008

Vagina Rhymes With China

I was putting the kids to bed last night. William goes in with out a hitch lately. All I do is say, "It is time to go Night, Night." , and he starts sucking his thumb and right in the crib he goes. Abby has been good lately too. I should knock on wood saying this because it seems like when bedtime routines start to go smoothly you can pretty much expect something will change at any moment. Charlie has always been a good sleeper and easy to put to bed, except lately. With all that he has had going on lately I guess I should expect his frustration to come out here and there. Last night after the usual bed time routine, I tucked him in said "Good Night!", got a hug and a kiss and came down stairs. I was quickly called back up. First he wanted a drink, then he wanted to talk. I did both of these things and came back down. He called me again. Now he is usually not like this. I was actually thinking that his voice sounded like Abby's. She is usually the one calling down to me! I went up for the third time, trying so hard to be patient. He said, "Mom, what is that called when you are naked?" as he pointed to my crotch. I started feeling faint. I was not ready for this. I am an adult. I am educated. I am a Registered Nurse. I could not handle this question from my five year old baby boy! I said, "It is called a penis on you." He said in a frustrated, know it all tone, "I know! I am talking about you!" I couldn't say it. I am immature. I am not ready for this. I could not say it! I hesitated and then I gathered up all the calmness I could find and I said, "It is called the female bum." I couldn't believe what came out of my mouth. I lied. I am thirty two years old and I couldn't say it! The female bum! He was quiet after that and went right to sleep. I went down stairs feeling sooooo guilty. I am the worst mother in the world. I know what I was supposed to do, but I couldn't. I shared the story with Donald and of course, he had a great laugh. I laughed too. All the while I had tremendous guilt. What is wrong with me. You are supposed to be honest. If he asked the question, I should be able to answer it. All night the conversation haunted me.
At 5:30 a.m. I got my usual wake-up call from him in the bathroom. I said to him, "Remember, last night when you asked me what the female bum is called?" He said, "Yes." and looked up at me squinting with sleepy eyes. I said well there is another word, "It is called a vagina." He looked up at me more awake this time and said, "Oh cool, it rhymes with China!"

19 comments:

KG said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I hope you'll be back . . . you know, I just did a post a while back on whether parents teach their kids the anatomically correct words or go with something else. Female bum is hilarious.

While I'm planning on teaching my kids the correct terms, part of me also wants to teach them to say "hoo-ha."

And, fyi, I'm SURE my hoo-ha is permanently defunct after my 3rd degree tears and my 9 lbs. 6 oz. baby. I'm glad to know other people don't think they're the same anymore, either.

Amy said...

Love this! I wonder if I'll here about it. Probably not, as I am sure he just filed this away in that big brain of his!

Mary said...

This is a great story! I love it!
And I can so picture how he said "Oh cool, it rhymes with China!"

Jaime Cox said...

LOL!! haha.... we just use silly names for private areas. Like "willie" and "pizzie". Like pizza, but pizzie. But, my oldest is 2.5, so I don't have to "dish" yet! And, her new thing to say this week is, "My pizzie is soft!". What in the world??!!!?! No!
Good for you!!! Haha....

Mary Alice said...

That IS cool. I had never really thought about it. Not that many things rhyme with China. That is pretty special!

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

This was just an adorable story - really loved it!

Thanks for the comment for John. We need all the prayers and good thoughts we can get.

Hallie :)

kim-d said...

Awww, Lisa...when I first read this post, I just sort of smiled...because it was Charlie who asked. And, now don't ask me where I came up with this but it's just really what I've always thought. From the first time I saw a pic of Charlie, with his nice smile--my first thought is that he is going to grow up to be one of those guys that is going to be good to the females in his life. He looks to me like the kind of boy who will open car doors, and who will be a favorite of the girls' fathers. Even with the way he asked you about it...it was a RESPECTFUL way of asking, ya know? And even though I am VERY immature about coochies, hoo-has, female bums, peepers, etc.--HA!--I'm really glad you told him the real name because now I can call it a CHINA VAGINA** Hehehe..

**my thanks to Charlie ;)!

Kellan said...

What a cute post! It's sometimes more of a big deal to us than them - right?

Thanks so much for coming by and for the well wishes - So nice to see you - I'll see you soon. Kellan

just jamie said...

You struggled to say it to your darling child, yet you post it to the world! You've got more guts than you may think. :)

I love this. Love it, love it, love it!

Robyn said...

Funny. I love that he correlated it rhyming with china.

BlueBella said...

Too cute!

I remember the first time I heard my 5 year old nephew say vagina . . .I about peed myself - I was appalled and laughing so hard at the way it sounded coming out of his "baby" mouth! But my sis has used the correct terms for body parts once they hit 3 or so so her kids don't think it's a big deal. They used the term "front bottom" at first.

Still I think it's funny to hear a little boy say it out loud! I can hardly say the word myself:)

Female bum - that's hilarious!

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

Oh my gosh. I am laughing out loud right now.. not good since I am at work and should be doing work which I'm going to right after I write this comment.

Got your site from Driving with the Brakes on. Glad I did. Some very funny stuff.

--- Jonny's Mommy

kim-d said...

Hi Lisa!!! Just had to let you know I'm thinking aboutcha and hope you're having a SUPER Monday morning...

Amber said...

Never in my life would I have ever thought of my bagina as a "female bum". I nearly peed in my pants when I read that. I have heard of a lot of things, but female bum is new to me! That is too funny.

BTW, just so you know, I am a huge HUGE fan of you and your sisters!!!! I wish we could go out for drinks and get crazy...and by crazy I mean, I would probably have one drink, get tired and need someone to drive me home...but still we would have fun!

Melissa said...

HA AHA HA! How funny! I jsut loved how you called in a female bum!!!!

Lizzy in the Burbs said...

Hi, Lisa!

This is such an adorable story, and you shouldn't be so hard on yourself, it's hard to talk about body parts and sex, etc., even for adults. You did good by telling him the "real" name, and that is just too funny that he rhymed it with China! Out of the mouths of babes, as they say! :o)

Lizzy
p.s. Glad to hear things are going better for all of you! Your Easter pictures of the kids are adorable!

Zoe said...

LMAO hope you know he will be sharing that little rhyme at school!

Ice Cream said...

Oh that is just too precious! Incidentally, my daughter called it a "front bum" from the beginning. I didn't correct her till she was 7.

Unknown said...

OMG his answer was just too cute! Gotta love kids.

I've had several surgeries to remove various reproductive organs. Finally after planning to remove my last ovary, my DS says" Geez, how many more parts than me do you HAVE!" LOL.